When I used to think of a war memorial, I would think of statues and museums; I wouldn’t think of a venue with live music. Imagine my surprise when I found out one of my favorite bands was playing at the War Memorial Auditorium. Like me, you may have walked past it or through the courtyard a time or two, sat down by the fountains, and looked up at the columns framing a statue. Maybe you read the plaque by the bronze soldiers. All this time, a venue lay right beyond the doors in that very courtyard. I’ve been to many venues across California and now in Nashville, and I have to say, the War Memorial Auditorium is in my top three.
Here are just a few of the reasons:
1) Popcorn in the lobby – So cute! It gives the venue a familiar feel. They take care to have a nice facility but they are relaxed enough to have some popcorn to offer.
2) Standing room and balcony seating – You have the best of both worlds. You do have to choose when you buy a ticket, and the balcony seats are a bit more. But if you like going to see your favorite band and don’t want to get sore feet from standing so long, you have the option of seats.
3) The ceiling – Maybe a strange thing to note, but the ceiling is gorgeous. Take a look the next time you’re there.
4) Free parking – There is free parking from 6 pm to 1 am in the state lots behind the Supreme Court Building on show nights. Get there early though; they fill up!
5) Reasonably priced drinks – There have been at least four portable bars set up at the last two shows I went to, and the drinks are reasonable.
6) Nice bathrooms – I have seen some crazy stuff in my live show days. Bathrooms might be the worst of it, so I really, really appreciate a venue that knows to take care of their facilities.
There are so many other things that make the WMA awesome, but you’ll just have to go and see it for yourself!